Thursday, February 28, 2008

Queen Lucy

On her first visit to Narnia, little Lucy Pevensie grows up "and her own people called her Queen Lucy the Valiant." But one of my favorite pictures of Lucy is in "Prince Caspian" when she and her siblings and one cranky dwarf have spent one entire day trying to reach Prince Caspian and had everything go wrong. The problem was that Lucy had seen Aslan and realized he wanted the party to follow him, but no one else would believe her because they had not seen Aslan with their own eyes. Thus Lucy was forced to go with the others and the results were disastrous and delayed them from reaching Caspian.
Late that night when everyone else is asleep, Lucy encounters Aslan again. He explains that she must return and tell the rest that they need to rise up and follow him.
"" Will the others see you too?" asked Lucy.
"Certainly not at first," said Aslan. "Later on, it depends."
"But they won't believe me!" said Lucy.
"It doesn't matter," said Aslan.
"Oh dear, oh dear," said Lucy. "And I was so pleased at finding you again. And I thought you'd let me stay. And I thought you'd come roaring in and frighten all the enemies away--like last time. And now everything is going to be horrid."
"It is hard for you, little one," said Aslan. "But things never happen the same way twice. It has been hard for us all in Narnia before now."
Lucy buried her head in his mane to hide from his face. But there must have been magic in his mane. She could feel lion-strength going into her. Quite suddenly she sat up.
"I'm sorry, Aslan," she said. "I'm ready now."
"Now you are a lioness," said Aslan. "And now all Narnia will be renewed. But come. We have no time to lose."
He got up and walked with stately, noiseless paces back to the belt of dancing trees through which she had just come: and Lucy went with him, laying a rather tremulous hand on his mane....
"Now, child," said Aslan, when they had left the trees behind them, "I will wait here. Go and wake the others and tell them to follow. If they will not, then you at least must follow me alone.""
Lucy wakes everyone and they DO begin to follow her but with begrudging hearts and grumpy spirits. For a long time no one else sees Aslan leading them, and then one by one, at different timing, they behold him. He leads them quickly and safely through the perilous terrain and to their goal.
How many times Aslan has asked me to follow him when no one else around me could see him. How many times I have tried to rouse those around me to come and follow him and been met with resistance, argument, or doubt.
"For you see your calling, brethren, that not many wise according to the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, are called. But God has chose the foolish things of the world to put to shame the wise, and God has chosen the weak things of the world to put to shame the things which are mighty; and the base things of the world and the things which are despised God has chosen, and the things which are not, to bring to nothing the things that are, that no flesh should glory in His presence. But of Him you are in Christ Jesus, who became for us wisdom from God--and righteousness and sanctification and redemption--that, as it is written, He who glories, let him glory in the LORD.
--posted by Queen Lucy

2 comments:

Barb said...

BEAUTIFUL! Thank you for the encouragment. As I read, I felt this was a word someone else in my family needed to hear too, and it blessed them likewise - thank you for sharing what the Lord has put upon your heart.

By the way, I don't get a chance to read every post - so when I don't comment, it doesn't mean I didn't like it or was not inspired, or ... whatever. I unfortunately get to read only a few - but I have been blessed here - thank you!

Anonymous said...

forgive me for complaining, I do wish to travel this journey with you, my dear friend... thank you for your poignant words! let us join our hands as we amble through this life with joy