Monday, June 7, 2010

Common Bonds

Yesterday we attended another homeschool graduation. It was for a young man we have had the privilege of watching grow up through our 4H club. I remember when he gave his first demonstration where he had to give a talk in front of the entire club. He was literally shaking in his boots. Now he gets up in front of people and talks like he was born to lead and he plays with a blue grass band too. There is just something so satisfying to see the fruit in these young lives: the fruit of their parents' efforts, the fruit of God's grace in their lives, the fruit of their devotion to Christ and His kingdom, the fruit of a godly education that focuses on character as well as academics.

But what was really lovely to me was the reminder of all the Scriptures that give many homeschoolers a common bond. Scriptures like Deuteronomy 6:1-9, Jeremiah 29:11-13 and so many more. It was those verses that God used to call me to home educate and to reassure me over the years that this was the right course even when pressured by other options like classical Christian day school. I looked at those families yesterday and I knew that though we may have different theological or doctrinal beliefs, different lifestyle choices, and unique methods for educating our children, we have a common bond. God has used His Word to draw so many of us to educate our children and to adopt a home centered learning lifestyle. And it is beautiful.

There is beauty in the outworkings of God's grace in our lives. I marvel at the glory of God in the young people I see growing up in Christian homes with godly parents who are laboring every day to teach them about God, their faith, and how to apply His Word. I am overwhelmed by the loveliness produced in the generation to come and my hope is renewed. That hope that I had at the beginning for the homeschool movement to impact our land for righteousness sake. Hope that our labors will not be in vain and that God will bless. It is faith realized when I see what I saw yesterday.

For that mom, her K-12 homeschooling is done, although she will be educating her children all the days of her life. And I was glad, so very glad, that God in His providence still has another 14 years ahead for me (God willing). If He grants me life and strength and endurance, by then I will have homeschooled for 34 years and my oldest will be on the brink of middle age! And I think as King David did, "Who am I, O Lord God? and what is my house, that You have brought me this far?" (2 Samuel 7:18)

----posted by Queen Lucy

1 comment:

Jan said...

This is beautiful, Amie and I couldn't agree more. I am thankful for that Bond.