Sunday, June 12, 2011

Days of Our Lives

Graduation time again. This year six young people we have known finished their course. Four of them completely home educated. Yesterday as we sat through the ceremony for two of them, I watched the slide show of their lives and I marveled. It was all those memories lived out day by day. The chocolate faces, hugging puppies, competing in fiddle contests and horseback shooting events, archery, snowmen, canoeing, traveling, making Lego models and so much more. Mothers were feeding little boys, doing wash, and planning lessons and activities. And then there they were handing out diplomas. The emotional moments hit home. My life is the same as theirs. Every day we wake up to mounds of dishes and laundry and someone needing help with math and another child trying to do their writing and another wanting me to listen to their 4H demonstration and I forget. I forget to drink it all in. To cherish and treasure every day that we are living in what seems mundane, but in the end it is wonderful, beautiful, glorious. The finite life we have passes quickly. My little girl is now a grown woman. My son is courting and headed into a career as a firefighter. For me there are still several years, Lord willing, to take up the daily labor of love of shaping and teaching the arrows of our quiver of school age. But the vapor is fading and I want to condense it into something I can hold on to more clearly in my heart and mind. And giving thanks becomes ever more precious as the days add up.

" Then King David went in and sat before the LORD; and he said, "Who am I, O Lord GOD? And what is my house, that You have brought me this far?" " (2 Samuel 7:18)

----posted by Queen Lucy

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

And the mothers are the ones to be held up in praise for their commitment, strength, hard work, fortitude, and love in teaching each of them not only the 3 R's but the love of Christ and the success that comes from living for and through Him! Thank you mothers!