Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Judges Deja Vu

"In those days there was no king in Israel; everyone did what was right in his own eyes." (Judges 21:25)
No where is this more evident in Christian circles today than with regard to child bearing.  And I have heard it all.  Christians reason that to "be reasonable" you should put off having children, or only have two or three at the most...so that you can be financially secure, or travel, or fill in the blank.  The arguments are endless so it seems, but if we are going to take the whole counsel of God's Word, the general principles contained therein state that God wants us to mulitply (notice He did not say replicate), to have children in our youth, to have marriages because He wants to bring forth godly seed from us, and to see that children are a reward and blessing. (Caveat: I am not condemning anyone who is childless by circumstances and not by choice. God is gracious and I know we need to be also.)
I do believe that for the most part people, including Christians, want to be unencumbered by the responsibility and, yes, the cost of children.  That simply is not what God calls us to.  I don't recall Him saying, "lead a life devoid of sacrifice or expenses."  I do recall He said to gain our life we had to lose it.  
Augustine had an ungodly lifestyle for years before his conversion and then wrote in retrospect these words:  "In those years I had a woman.  She was not my partner in what is called lawful marriage.  I had found her in my state of wandering desire and lack of prudence.  Nevertheless, she was the only girl for me, and I was faithful to her.  With her I learnt by direct experience how wide a difference there is between the partnership of marriage entered into for the sake of having a family and the mutual consent of those whose love is a matter of physical sex, and for whom the birth of a child is contrary to their intention..."(Confessions, p.53)  Christian people get married and then have sexual privileges but the birth of a child is contrary to their intentions. I am not against wisdom, but I am against doing what is right in our own eyes because it is more convenient.  That is not what kind of life God has called us to.  St. John of the Cross said, "Strive to choose, not that which is easiest, but that which is most difficult.  Do not deprive your soul of the agility which it needs to mount up to Him." God have mercy upon us. 

No comments: