Sunday, December 16, 2012

In His Hands

The call came, jolting us awake from early morning sleep.  The kind of call you see in movies, but now was real life.  My brother in law said they were on the way to the hospital and that dad said they might not be able to revive mom.  A few minutes later another call confirmed that she had not made it.  She was gone.

We sat in shock.  Then quickly made arrangements for my husband to leave on the next plane to be with dad.  I would follow in the next day or so.  We both cried the whole way to the airport.  It was only 5 a.m.

So he went to Texas to help his father and brother make funeral arrangements.  I stayed home to settle things for the family and early morning Thanksgiving Day I flew to Texas.  Holiday travelers filled each plane.  God brought the sun out of its chamber as startling snow capped mountains gave way to deep gray valleys and canyons. And my heart was filled with the wonder of God's handiwork and His power over life and death and how we live and breathe and drink in His glory one moment and leave this earth the next. And when I came home after the funeral and burial and relatives and sleepless nights, Job was waiting for me....

"In his hand is the life of every creature and the breath of all mankind."  Job 12:10

Our lives are changed because of death, but we have hope.  We have the resurrection.  We have Christ. There is only that. 

No comments: