Wednesday, March 11, 2015

A New Perspective

For years the part of Romans 12:2 that has been burned into my memory is, "Be Ye Transformed...."  It has always seemed like a commandment in that translation and that meant to me, it was something I was supposed to do.  Wow.  That made it a pretty tough commandment to follow.  Could I really work all these years on being transformed?

Then about a month ago, I bought a tiny copy of the New Living Translation Bible.  Every now and then I try a new translation to help give a fresh perspective on the Scriptures.  I am enjoying it, but the verse in Romans 12 was a shock and a relief.  In the NLT that verse says:  "Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but LET GOD TRANSFORM YOU into a new person by changing the way you think.  Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect."  

Wow.  Did you get that difference?  It was like a cold snap of winter air hitting my face when I open the door.  "Let God transform you".  That is wonderful.  It isn't up to me anymore.  It is God doing the transforming, the metamorphosis, the work.  I am to surrender, to not kick against the work.  What a relief of a "works mentality" for me.  I hope it is for you too.

2 comments:

Jan said...

Hi there!!

Good to see you posting again! I have missed you! ;-) I've been thinking of you! Hope all is well!

Caer Clan said...

Thanks, Jan...trying to start over....Hope you are all doing great and enjoying everyday graces....