Monday, March 23, 2015

My Outtakes from Daring Greatly

My book club is reading Brene Brown's "Daring Greatly: How the Courage to Be Vulnerable Transforms the Way We Live, Love, Parent, and Lead". Brown's TED talks are some of the most watched on the TED site and her books have been NY Times Bestsellers. Having finished the book, I wanted to share a few of my favorite quotes.  If one of the challenges of post-modern Christians is to learn to be authentic and courageous, then some of her insights can challenge us toward that goal.

"What we know matters, but who we are matters more."

"I know the yearning to believe that what I'm doing matters and how easy it is to confuse that with the drive to be extraordinary."

"Trust is a product of vulnerability that grows over time and requires work, attention, and full engagement."

"....I also learned that the people who love me, the people I really depend on, were never the critics who were pointing at me while I stumbled.  They weren't in the bleachers at all.  They were with me in the arena.  Fighting for me and with me."

"There is no intimacy without vulnerability.  Yet another powerful example of vulnerability as courage."

And many more.  I have plenty to say about the book, but the one thought I record here is that engaged motherhood is all about daring greatly because being a mother is all about uncertainty and risk and vulnerability.

No comments: